Monday, April 23, 2012

Does your child NEED a cell phone?

I was 17 years old when I got my first cell phone. That was back when cell phones were mostly symbols of being rich or a drug dealer. I was neither. It was a cheap pay by the minute phone that I used for maybe a month and got tired of the "newness" of having it and never bought another minute for it. The second time I ever thought I would like a cell phone was when I was 21 years old. I was at an amusement park with some friends and we needed a ride back home. None of us had a cell phone. None of us had enough change for the pay phone. Using our student bus passes we took the bus home.


Now days, my cell phone is a constant tether to family, friends, clients and colleagues. I don't know what I would do without a cell phone. It has become my life line. It may seem crazy to think that is was only 2003 when I was 21 years old. Cell phones are becoming cheaper and more necessary in today's world. However, when I read a recent article that stated almost 20% of 8 year olds have cell phones I was surprised and saddened. Surprised because my son just turned six this month. That means in two years, I'll most likely be hearing, "all my friends have one". I don't think I'm ready for that battle. Saddened because I loath my "love/hate" relationship with my cell phone. I have it programmed so I cannot be reached during certain hours of the day, but I still do not like the thought that I am just "a phone call away" from anyone who has my phone number. I admit, there are some benefits to having a cell phone, but I still don't like being constantly "on call". So this brings me to my title: Does your child need a cellphone? Here are some questions to ask to help you come to a comfortable conclusion for your family:

  1. Is your child involved in after school activities that may be cancelled without advanced notice? (some coaches and leaders of these programs require a child to have a cell phone for this purpose).
  2. Does your child exhibit the personal responsibility necessary to being tethered to the world via a cell phone? (in other words, will it become a greater problem or be a blessing to your child's life).
  3. Is your child's need for a cell phone based solely on "everyone else having one"?
  4. Do you feel comfortable allowing your child to call or text most anyone without your knowledge? (it's true that there are phones and plans that provide parental controls, but let's be honest, most kids find ways around these controls).
  5. Does your child need a cell phone? 
Only you in collaboration with your partner and your child can make this choice, but it is something you will most likely need to start thinking about, even if your child is only in preschool now. If the current trend continues, I afraid I'll be having a similar conversation with my 9 month old in a few years. 

What are your thoughts? 

1 comment:

  1. I have 3 girls ages 15, almost 13, and 10 and none of them have a cell phone. My husband and I have one, but it is prepay phone and honestly, I use the camera on my phone more often than I use the phone itself. There are times when it is handy for my oldest to have a phone and at those times, I have her borrow mine or my husbands. When she took driver's ed and a guest police officer asked the class how many people don't text, she was the only one that raised her hand and some other kids thought she was lying. So my vote, is no, my kid does not need their own phone until they are ready to pay for it. They can use mine in the meantime when they need it. Actually, my daughter doesn't really want it, when I insist she take a phone. She is used to not having one.

    ReplyDelete