Monday, December 17, 2012

Single Motherhood NOT to Blame!

I just read an article from USA Today with the headline, "Nancy Lanza had authority over Conn. shooter Adam Lanza". The title intrigued me. Was the author implying that Nancy had "authority and therefor is to blame" for the shootings? Or were they stating, "she knew her son was dangerous and needed help?" After reading through the article I couldn't help but get the feeling that the author, possibly well intentioned or just simply looking for more to the story, was blaming divorce for the tragedy. The article details the divorce filings of Nancy and her ex-husband. I could find no good reason that this should be plastered on national news as it really had little to do with the tragedy. So to clear up any confusion of other readers of this article: Divorce, or more appropriately - Single motherhood is NOT to blame for this tragedy. Sure, many problems can arise from divorce, and some children of single PARENTS have problems, but I find it hard to understand why this aspect of their lives was highlighted. From all accounts I have been able to read, Adam was disturbed, possibly had some mental health issues, and was clearly not thinking appropriately. But the last thing I want to hear is a single mother being blamed for something so horrendous. Single parents, the majority of them mothers, have difficult struggles already without putting the fear that their child will turn out like this kid did. Let's put the focus back where it needs to be, with the families of those who are suffering and struggling as a result. With the teachers and administrators struggling now across the country, trying to provide a safe, secure environment for their students to learn. And rightly with the family of this man who made decisions that will impact the lives of hundreds if not thousands throughout the years to come. They too, will live with doubt and second guessing of their actions. On a side note, I'm reposting possibly the best news story I have seen yet related to this tragedy:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/16/us/connecticut-emilie-parker/index.html?iref=allsearch

1 comment:

  1. This is a nice post you have here. Not all are aware of what single mothers go through and what they have to sacrifice for her child/children. People may judge and that can lead to problems. You should go to a family therapy plano to ease problems and doubts.

    ReplyDelete