Sunday, February 27, 2011

March: The Month of Technology

From the time my wife and I have been married we have tried to be consistent in celebrating March 14 by enjoying a nice apple pie (for those non-geeks, March 14 is also 3.14, which is the abbreviated value of Pi in math). I thought it would be fitting to discuss technology throughout this month. Each week I will post information regarding how technology has changed the way we parent children and discuss a few issues that technology poses to parents. I know that this topic can be divisive, so fill free to post your thoughts regarding each topic.

Let me start off with a story. When my wife and I were on a date, I took the time to look around at the other couples at the restaurant we were eating at. I noticed that almost 70% of the individuals in the restaurant were distracted in one way or another on their phone or smart phone. It reminded me of a video I saw about parents doing the same thing.

Take a few minutes to watch this video and try the following experiment:

  • Count how many minutes you are present with your children but doing something on your phone.
  • Try to reduce that time in the following week.

No comments:

Post a Comment